As seen in the film “A Wink And A Smile,“ this famed original performance workshop intensive is a remarkable transformative experience that builds confidence and stimulates innate creativity. And… it’s back IN PERSON in Seattle this Fall!
As seen in the film “A Wink And A Smile,“ this famed original performance workshop intensive is a remarkable transformative experience that builds confidence and stimulates innate creativity.
View Dates & Class Offerings - Fall 2021
*Fall 2021 Class Schedule*
Sunday August 29: 11am-2pm – Welcome, Burlesque History, Character & Act Creation 101
Sunday September 5: 11am-1pm – Act Development Intensive & Private 1:1 sessions begin!
Sunday September 12: 1pm – 3pm – BONUS CLASSES!
Monday September 13: 6pm – 8pm – BONUS CLASSES!
Sunday September 19: 11am-1pm – Movement and Stage Presence Workshop
Sunday September 25: 11am-1pm– Comedy, Costuming, Facial Expressions
Sunday October 3: 11am-1pm – First Showings! Group feedback on Acts-in-Progress
Sunday October 10: 11am-1pm – Second Showings! and Dress Rehearsal
All in person classes are held at The GiveInn, Ballard, Seattle.
SATURDAY OCTOBER 16: PERFORMANCE RECITAL!
2 Shows in 1 night at The GiveInn!
Please note: You must be 21 by the recital date, with valid ID.
Sunday, October 24 – Post-show Reunion Potluck and Video Watch Party
What will I experience?
- An unforgettable transformational journey
- Support and encouragement from top quality, world-class, award-winning instructors
- Trademarked, proven, repeatable tools to create countless burlesque acts
- Opportunities for friendships and participation in the Burlesque community
- An increase in self-confidence and a sense of personal growth
- Inclusion in a network of AOB Students, Alumni, and Instructors
- 6 Group Classes
- 5 Private Lessons
- Student Graduation Recital “2-Show-In-1-Night”
- Memory Package of the Recital:
- 1 printed class picture
- 1 printed picture of you
- Digital access to professional photos and videos of you from both shows
- Frame-able Graduation Certificate
- 6 Bonus “Teaser” Classes PLUS lifetime access to online content
- Discounted admission to Stage Makeup Basics and Wig Stying classes
- Student potluck and recital video screening, 2 weeks after show
- Lifetime “Alumni” status including discounts and special community opportunities
Technical Course Description
Burlesque is a uniquely American performance art form that combines humor, sexuality, politics, and topics of the body in a 3-5 minute dance/theater skit form to music. During the course of the six-week workshop, students create their own Burlesque strip-tease routine and perform it for a live audience.
The goal is to move students from no experience to an actual kinesthetic experience of performing a Burlesque routine in front of a live audience. Beginning with group discussion and interactivity, students gradually increase their movement and individual practice time over the six weeks until they are ready to perform their solo act on stage with their classmates.
Students meet in a group with their instructor for two hours weekly, developing an understanding of history, movement, costuming, act and character development through discussion, hands-on practice, games, and exercises. Weekly private half-hour sessions with the instructor commence the second week of class. In this focused individual environment, students refine their act with guidance and feedback from their instructor. Considerable time outside of class is expected, as students are required to complete written homework and show regular progress in develop costuming and choreography at each private session.
The final public performance is a two-show-in-one-night graduation recital at The GiveInn in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle. Students are expected to sell tickets to their family and friends as both practice in professional arts promotions, and to support the reality of show costs. The course culminates in a student potluck a week or two after the show, where students and their instructor review video from the performance in a supportive and encouraging environment.
How do I know if this class is right for me?
This class is for you if you:
- Saw a Burlesque show and thought, “I want to do that too!”
- Haven’t danced/been on stage/done theater since high school/in years/ever
- Want a better relationship with your body
- Want to expand your creativity, feel brave, and improve your confidence
- Have been thinking about it for a while but are kind of hesitant.
- Are motivated, excited, nervous, willing to learn, and ready to share.
- If you are a person with a body! This class is open to ALL genders, body types, races, creeds, religions, and all that jazz!!!
We find that students are most successful when they:
- Have a balanced approach to both listening and sharing.
- Are able to take direction, try new things, and focus when needed.
- Have made time in their schedule to do all the classes and the homework
- Are generous, open-minded, and community oriented.
- Are willing to do something that scares them, and trust in our process.
Still Not Sure?
Le Fine Print: Policies
Subject to our regular admissions policies with the exception of age*. Open to persons of all genders, body types, races, creeds, religions, and all that jazz. Headmistress reserves right to expel or refuse admission to students at her discretion.
*You must be 21 years of age by the recital date, with a valid ID. The performance venue is 21+.
Fees paid for Burlesque 101 or Boylesque 101 are not transferable to another type of class.
If class is cancelled by AOB, pre-payments will be refunded to students within 4 weeks, or the student may choose to receive class credit instead, which will be held for up to 1 year.
If student cancels up to 7 days before before class begins, student will be refunded 50% of total class fees.
If student drops out with 7 days of class starting, and up to 48 hours after the first class of a session, 25% of total class fee will be refunded to student.
If student drops out three or more days after first class of a session, their spot is not fillable, and thus their class fee is non-refundable.
If student decides within two days after the first class of a session to transfer to another session, the transfer will be permitted under the following conditions: a $200 change fee to hold their spot in the next session will be required. All paid fees will be applicable towards the next session. Start date of new session must be within 6 months of start date of previous session. If session price increases, student is responsible for paying the difference. If that session is on waitlist, student will be added to the beginning of the waitlist. If student’s name does not come up within 6 months, paid fees are non-refundable.
If student decides three or more days after the first class of a session to transfer to another session, the transfer will be permitted at the discretion of the administrators and will be subject to the following conditions: an additional deposit to hold their spot in the next session will be required. 50% of previously paid fees will be applicable towards the next session. Start date of new session must be within 6 months of start date of previous session. If session price increases, student is responsible for paying the difference. If that session is on waitlist, student will be added to end of waitlist. If student’s name does not come up within 6 months, paid fees are non-refundable.